SaaS Growth Strategies: How to Use Gamified Free Trial Extensions to Grow Your SaaS Business
In today’s competitive SaaS market, it’s more important than ever to find ways to stand out from the crowd. One way to do this is to offer a gamified free trial extension.
Gamification is the use of game-like elements in non-game contexts. In the context of a SaaS free trial, this could involve giving users points or badges for completing certain tasks, such as inviting friends or sharing content.
Gamified free trial extensions can be a great way to boost engagement and conversion rates. By giving users a reason to keep coming back to your product, you can increase the chances that they’ll eventually become paying customers.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss 10 gamified free trial extension strategies that you can use to grow your SaaS business.
We’ll cover topics such as:
- How to give users points for completing specific tasks
- How to offer badges for achieving certain milestones
- How to create a leaderboard to track users’ progress
- How to run contests and giveaways
- How to make it easy for users to share their progress on social media
- How to personalize the gamified experience for each user
- How to use gamification to track user behavior
- How to A/B test different gamified elements
- How to keep the gamified experience fun and engaging
- How to avoid overdoing it
We’ll also provide examples of how different SaaS companies have used gamified free trial extensions to grow their businesses.
By the end of this blog post, you’ll have a clear understanding of how to use gamified free trial extensions to boost engagement, conversion rates, and customer lifetime value for your SaaS business.
Let’s get started with Gamified SaaS Growth Strategies!
1. Give Users Points for Completing Specific Tasks to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
One of the most basic ways to gamify your free trial is to give users points for completing specific tasks. This could include tasks such as:
- Signing up for your free trial
- Creating an account
- Adding a credit card
- Sending an email
- Inviting a friend
- Using a certain number of features
The more tasks that users complete, the more points they’ll earn. These points can then be redeemed for rewards, such as:
- An extension to their free trial
- A discount on a paid plan
- A free product or service
2. Offer Badges for Achieving Certain Milestones to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
In addition to giving users points, you can also offer badges for achieving certain milestones. This could include milestones such as:
- Completing a certain number of tasks
- Reaching a certain level
- Inviting a certain number of friends
- Using a certain number of features
Badges can be a great way to motivate users and keep them engaged. They also make the gamified experience more fun and rewarding.
3. Create a Leaderboard to Track Users’ Progress to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
A leaderboard is a great way to track users’ progress and see who’s ahead of the game. This can be a motivating factor for users to keep coming back and earning more points or badges.
The leaderboard can be displayed on your website or in your app. It should show the top users, as well as the average number of points or badges that users have earned.
4. Run Contests and Giveaways to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
Running contests and giveaways is a great way to get users excited about your product and encourage them to share it with others.
The contest or giveaway could be for a free product or service, a discount on a paid plan, or even cash prizes.
To make the contest or giveaway more engaging, you can tie it to the gamified free trial extension. For example, you could offer a free month of your product to the user who invites the most friends to sign up for a free trial.
5. Make it Easy for Users to Share Their Progress on Social Media to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
Social media is a great way to spread the word about your product and attract new users. By making it easy for users to share their progress on social media, you can help to grow your reach and visibility.
You can do this by providing users with shareable links and social media graphics. You can also offer rewards for users who share their progress.
6. Personalize the Gamified Experience for Each User to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
Personalizing the gamified experience for each user can help to keep them engaged and motivated. You can do this by:
- Tailoring the tasks and rewards to the user’s interests
- Using the user’s name and profile picture
- Sending personalized messages and notifications
7. Use Gamification to Track User Behavior to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
Gamification can be used to track user behavior and identify areas where your product can be improved. For example, you can track how often users complete tasks, how many points they earn, and which rewards they redeem.
This data can be used to improve the gamified experience, make your product more user-friendly, and increase engagement.
8. A/B Test Different Gamified Elements to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to gamification. The best way to find out what works for your users is to A/B test different gamified elements.
You can A/B test different types of tasks, rewards, and leaderboards to see which ones are most effective in motivating users.
9. Keep the Gamified Experience Fun and Engaging to increase your SaaS Growth Strategies
The most important thing is to keep the gamified experience fun and engaging. If users find it too tedious or boring, they’re less likely to stick with it.
Make sure that the tasks and rewards are challenging but achievable. Use engaging visuals and clear instructions. And don’t forget to add a sense of humor!
10. Don’t Overdo It
Too much gamification can be overwhelming and off-putting. The goal is to add a little bit of fun and excitement, not to turn the free trial into a game.
Start with a few simple gamified elements and gradually add more as you see what works.
Gamified free trial extensions can be a great way to boost engagement, conversion rates, and customer lifetime value for your SaaS business. By following the strategies in this blog post, you can create a gamified experience that is fun, engaging, and effective.
Here are some additional tips for using gamified free trial extensions to grow your SaaS business:
- Make sure that the gamified experience is relevant to your product and target audience.
- Use clear and concise language to explain the gamified elements.
- Keep the gamified experience simple and easy to understand.
- Don’t forget to test and iterate on your gamified experience.
If you’re looking for help implementing a gamified free trial extension or other SaaS growth strategies, contact our growth hacking agency today. We can help you grow your business and reach your target audience.
Here are some examples of SaaS companies that have used gamified free trial extensions to grow their businesses:
- HubSpot: HubSpot offers a gamified free trial that gives users points for completing certain tasks, such as creating a landing page or sending an email campaign. Once users reach a certain number of points, they can earn an extension to their free trial.
- Trello: Trello uses a badge system to recognize users for completing certain tasks, such as creating a new board or inviting a friend to Trello. Badges can help to motivate users and keep them coming back for more.
- Slack: Slack offers a gamified free trial that gives users points for inviting their colleagues to try Slack. Once users reach a certain number of points, they can earn an extension to their free trial.
- Asana: Asana ran a contest where users could earn points for inviting their friends to try Asana. The user who invited the most friends won a free year of Asana Premium.
- Mailchimp: Mailchimp makes it easy for users to share their progress on social media by providing them with shareable links and social media graphics.